Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Royal Canin Picky Cat Food Taste Test

In December when I was the winner of a drawing held by Cathy Keisha to get a sample of Picky Cat food by Royal Canin, Mom was very glad, because I really am a Picky cat as far as my food is concerned, and Mom had actually almost bought a box of the food samples to try.     First of all, it was really exciting that the food came by Fedex one day and was addressed to me!!!

Inside the FedEx package was a box of Picky Cat food, as well as a coupon to get a bag of my favorite food of the three possibilites.  The idea behind Picky Cat is that some cats choose their food based on how it smells and tastes (Selective Aromatic),  some based on how the food feels in their mouth (Selective Savor ) and some based on how they feel after they eat the food (Selective Protein).     


The instructions said to put out three bowls with equal amounts of the different foods in each bowl and to feed me only that for a whole day.    So Mom did that and I went straight to the Protein food and ate it up.   I would not touch the others.     It was so obvious I only liked the one, that Mom fed me my regular food the rest of the day.      About a week later, she tried again - the first time, she put my food in the bathroom where I usually eat to keep my food away from Miss Vacuum Sweeper, but the second time she closed Audrey in the kitchen and presented me with the three bowls in a straight line in the front hallway (see photo below).   Once again the only food I would even TRY was the Protein variety.  She switched the positions of the bowls, and again I went for the Protein.     So it seems like a no brainer.
What surprises Mom about this is that she is pretty sure, because I would not even try the others, that the only one I liked the smell of was the Protein.  Yet that food is not supposed to be preferred by cats based on Aroma at all.   And I couldn't have known it would make my tummy feel best later when I ate that one, because I knew from the beginning it was the only one I wanted.

So you can guess which of the three foods the humans will use the coupon for!!

Now how about Audrey?   Well, Audrey likes everything that can remotely be called food.  Mom and Dad have never seen her not eat anything she was given.    Never.     Never.!     So they have not tried her with a taste test, because they are pretty sure that, even if she had a favorite, she would eat up everything in all three bowls right away, and then probably barf it back up due to an overly full tummy!

Disclaimer:   We received thre Picky Cat sampler pack free of charge from Royal Canin, as well as the coupon, but that has not influenced our opinion of the food, or Mom's reporting of the experiment.

22 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like the Protein flavor is the winner. Hope your Mommie get a big for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're glad there's a winner!

    LOL @ "Miss Vacuum Sweeper!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simba
    We are glad that you did like one of the three. I am a picky eater too and unfortunately Mom NOW KNOWS if she changes food on me I will get sick with very bad cramps, and vomiting and I won't eat anything. She has decided to forget about trying to get better quality food in me and just let me eat the food I love FF! So there Mom, just leave my food alone.

    purrs
    >^,,^<
    ♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like a good venture all around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting test! You must feel good after you eat that food, Simba!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to test what it is you really like! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly know what you like and don't like when it comes to food, Simba! Binga and Boodie are more like Audrey, although Binga has turned down one or two things... in 11-1/2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Derby is like Audrey, he eats everything and then yaks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're glad you knew just what you wanted from the very beginning Simba!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Human bought me that sampler pack awhile back, and I liked them all okay--I did not have much of a preference for one over the other. So now she buys me whatever flavor she thinks sounds right for the month, ha ha ha. Frankly, I don;t really think I can much tell the difference--I'm not much of a "gour-may."

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool idea!!! We have no pickiness in our natures (particularly that Ham, who would eat wallpaper paste if it was in a bowl)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did that experiment just right. Good job and it seems very clear you like that protein stuff. You're just like me, Simba... you know what you like and you're sticking to it.

    Have a great day.

    pawhugs, Max

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a fun test. We tried it too. But there are so many of us, that it is hard for any one of us to make a choice. We usually just eat what she gives us. We do get picky about some foods. But Simba, now Mom knows for sure which kind you like. Have yourselves a super Thurs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great you found one you like! So important.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do what Fin does, say you like the food till I buy the case, and lose the receipt, then refuse to eat it again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So have you two been eating since Wednesday, too busy to blog? MOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a very cool test. I'm kind of a one-trick-pony, but the protein thing sounds pretty yummy. Glogirly's always talking about getting me off the carbs.
    ; )
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh I need to try this for Oliver - he is sooooo picky!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just think it's good you found one you like!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If this is good for me, Mom needs to buy it for me. And she's hoping the new stuff she bought is really healthy.
    Thanks for doing this.
    xoxo Kassey

    ReplyDelete
  21. In December when I was the winner of a drawing held by Cathy Keisha to get a sample of Picky Cat food by Royal Canin, Mom was very glad, ... caninkittenfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete